It’s that time of the week again…. With Daylight Savings time kicking in, i’d like to think we now have MORE time to craft and sculpt our Fantasy Premier League teams 🙂 And look for further for quality advice, because DesiEPLFantasyManager is here with the weekly dose of suggestions!
Chelsea vs Liverpool is obviously the big match of the weekend. i’ve read in some reports that it should be a low scoring win for Chelsea.. i beg to differ – Liverpool tend to lift their games against the biggest opposition, and with big match players like Luis Suarez, Steven Gerrard in their ranks, they will surely fight tooth and nail for three points. The blues of course have the Juan Mata and Eden Hazard for the goals.. And Branislav Ivanovic, Gary Cahill might pop in a goal too…
Fernando Torres has claimed he will not celebrate if he scores against his old club… The Reds’ fans have promised they won’t laugh when he fails. Talk about mutual respect!
And of course there’s always Stewart Downing…
Newcastle vs West Ham could be the explosive surprise of the weekend… Everybody’s favourite midfielder Kevin Nolan will return to the St. James’s Park along with a curiously dangerous looking Andy Carroll. Add to that the Demba Ba, still under-performing Papiss Cisse; the mercurial talents of Hatem Ben Arfa and the forever reliable yet highly underrated Kevin Noble and we might have a goal fest this Sunday.. Fingers crossed!
Manchester United travel to Aston Villa in what promises to be a near rout for Villans. Sir Alex has called upon United to score lots of goals this season to make sure the “losing title on goal difference” scenario will never come up again, and the Red Devils will be smacking their lips in glee at the prospect of banging many past Paul Lambert’s leaky back four… Waiiiit, that doesn’t read well, does it?
Manchester City host Tottenham Hotspurs and frankly i have no idea what the outcome will be.. Carlos Tevez is in great form but no other City players seems to be remotely aware of the massive responsibility that defending an EPL title warrants… Jermaine Defoe is in lethal form, coming into this match on the back of a Europa League hat trick.. And then there’s Gareth Bale and the always-in-the-right-place-at-the-right-time-Clint Dempsey.. Tough one..
In terms of Fantasy scoring, Wigan vs West Brom should be an interesting match… Wigan pulled off an upset last week – defeating Tottenham AND keeping a clean sheet.. WBA dispatched Southampton Saints in a 2-0 win… FPL under the radar safe-bets Gareth McAuley, Zoltan Gera, Shane Long, Ali Al Habsi , Shaun Maloney, Arouna Kone all on the pitch at the same time… Should be an interesting match i say.
So here are my best picks for this GW!:
- Joe Hart: With the unpredictable nature of the Chelsea vs Liverpool, a clean sheet for Petr Cech seems like a highly unlikely result. City on the other hand, are smarting for what could have been a probable Champions League exit at the hands to Ajax. A definitive performance in the EPL should be the order of the day then, and mighty Joe Hart will have to deliver to ensure Defor, Dempsey and Bale don’t breach the City defense. i’m guess 4 points for Hart could be the minimum result this week…
- Ali Al Habsi: Wigan have been pulling off impressive results early on this season and their Omani goalkeeper is definitely one of the most important reasons they’re winning. With West Brom rather tame away from home, this could be yet another scalp for Roberto Martinez’s men, and a clean sheet to Habsi.
- Paul Ruddy: Yet another team which has strung together a couple of wins to stave off early relegation fears, it’s the improvement in defense which is helping the Canaries cause, but surely their English goalkeepr would the last man to complain.
- Leighton Baines (High) – The Englishman makes yet ANOTHER appearance as a DesiEPLFantasy team pick, and i can’t help but implore you to buy the left back if you haven’t already! My excuse this week is that the Toffees host Sunderland this week at Goodison Park, a team which has scored 6 goals in 9 matches! 5 of those from one man – Steve Fletcher – who looks like he’s lost the plot too soon and desperately needs to get it back ASAP! My standard disclaimer about Baines left foot, his assists, a potential goal, and a clean sheet? Check, check, maybe not and check!
- Rafael Da Silva (Medium) – United will be looking to hammer in as many goals as they possibly can against the Villans. Their Red-devil-may-care attitude has allowed the Brazilian to score two goals and provide two assists already. i suspect this weekend, the right back will add to the tally.
- Ryan Shawcross (Low) – Quick question -Which team has kept the most clean sheets and still hovers the relegation zone?! It’s the Jolly Green Giants from Stoke City!! Their problem isn’t conceding too many goals – they’ve only let in 10 after 10 matches. It’s that they’ve scored only 8. So will they keep yet another clean sheets against early relegation favorites QPR? Probably yes. But wil they score against them?! Now that’s the bone of contention i do not want to pick…
- Theo Walcott (High) – i admit, i’m taking a gamble by picking Walcott ahead of the likes of Juan Mata, Steven Gerrard, Antonio Valencia and his Arsenal team mate – Santi Cazorla. But a combination of injuries to Gervinho and Ramsey (:|), his earnestness at wanting to play as a striker coupled with his supposed exit in January for want of better wages, and we have another player who will be itching for a chance to grab the spotlight.. Potent combination in my books…
- Marouane Fellaini (Medium) – He’s scored 5 goals already, provided 2 assists, earned 7 bonus points this season in spite of missing a match against QPR and he still costs lower than the likes of Ashley Young, Nani, Ben Arfa, Oscar. The bright side is, at his current price he’s still buy-able.. And he’s against Sunderland this week. Do yourself a massive favour – buy him already!
- Shaun Maloney (Low) – An interesting player to look out for, considering Wigan only depend upon their forwards for the goals. With the Latics seemingly hitting a purple patch, the attacking midfielder will be crucial to their sustained success. A good buy at the low price too…
- Wayne Rooney (High) – We are definitely experiencing a weird season… Ivanovic has scored 3; Gervinho has scored 3; Sidwell has scored 3; FERNANDO TORRES has scored 4 and Wayne Ronney’s at… 2. If any player is due a big break, Wazza is him. With Sir Alex Ferguson backing him to score over 20 goals this season, a match against Aston Villa is as good a chance to kick-start his goal quest as any…
- Nikica Jelavic (Medium) – i just realized Jelavic would be the third Toffees player listed here today.. I actually wanted to add Tim Howard and almost took out Al Habsi. But that’s the level Everton is inspiring this season. Jelavic’s work rate is unquestionable.. There’s a high chance his chemistry with Kevin Mirallas comes in good against Sunderland.
- Noel Hunt (Low) – yet another team with an odd dilemma.. Reading score a lot of goals. Their problem is that they concede too many – like Southampton. Hunt has just come back from a brief injury break, and he seems hungrier than before. He could add to his tally of 2 goals this weekend, and Brian McDermott will be praying he does!!
So, how many picks will deliver this Gameweek?! Only time will tell.. Till the next episode!